With Edinburgh underway and hundreds if not thousands of comedians flocking to the city to perform in a whole host of shows one comedian Fintan Harvey has compiled a list of 10 reasons why he’s glad he’s not going to Edinburgh….we reckon he may be secretly upset, what do you reckon?
1. Experts say that 9 out of 10 people who perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival return with longer hair than when they left.
2. Handing out flyers on streets causes enormous wear and tear to all types of footwear. Some people have had to CHANGE their footwear halfway through the festival.
3. 19,000 people will be performing at the Festival. That is 18,999 people for me to be paranoid about how much better they are than me.
4. JK Rowling, author of the famous Harry Potter books, wrote her first novel ‘Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone’ in a café in Edinburgh. This would put too much pressure on me to do any writing in Edinburgh meaning I would have gone 1 month without writing new material.
5. Edinburgh has 1788 solicitors. This is the same year stand-up comedy was invented. Coincidence? I think not.
6. An Irish breakfast in Edinburgh is called a ‘Scottish Breakfast.’
7. Fringe festivals were first introduced to commemorate scalping victims of the frontier wars in North America. Anybody taking part in any other fringes festivals are demeaning the true name of the fringe festival.
8. The Edinburgh walls are older than the Derry walls suggesting they have more to hide.
9. Comedians are depending on local people who attend their shows to contribute to the collection bucket at the end of every show… in Scotland!?
10. Although I have just made 9 very clear points as to why I won’t be attending the festival I would like to wish all my friends and fellow comedians all the very best and I hope you all have an amazing time. Keep safe and good luck to all. xx
So there you have it, Fintan is glad he’s not going….if you are going however why not tell us about your experiences? You can mail us on email@example.com and make sure you check back for more news throughout the festival!